Thursday, October 22, 2009

Stephen Cane, Paul Fredericks, and the last little while


Two videos this time. The first is from about two weeks ago. Piano player named Stephen Cane. This one is mostly for my father, who introduced me to Billy Joel's Root Beer Rag, and thank goodness he did, because I would've had no idea what I was doing if he hadn't. The second is from last night. A British singer named Paul Fredericks. Apparently he recorded this song, Winchester Cathedral, with The New Vaudeville Band Back in the 70's, and it was a big hit. Like, Sinatra recorded it. Never heard of it, and it is certainly unique, so I thought I'd throw it up here for you.

It's been awhile since I posted, because life on a cruise ship is, well, fairly monotonous and boring. We've made it to the Caribbean and will be here for the remainder of my contract. I'm really looking forward to going to Trinidad, because I have friends living there working, so I'll get to see some familiar faces. A good half of the ports are simply gorgeous right when you step off the ship. The other half drop you off in an industrial zone, forcing you to taxi to anywhere that might be tourist friendly. Blech.

The good news is that I found the congregation of the Church in St. Vincent. No matter what church you belong to, if you are religious, it is really helpful to go to church any Sunday you are in port. It rejuvenated me and made me feel better about my whole predicament.

My roommate and I found some common ground in the baseball playoffs: we both hate the Yankees. Sadly, his Dodgers lost to my Phillies last night (Phillies=any team that's playing the Dodgers). Here's to the Phillies winning the world series again!!

I've made friends with the Cruise Staff. Those are the people who do all the activities on board. Sad thing is that they work very long days, so we don't hang much, but their job is very social, so I can go say hi while they are working. Some nights I go up to the night club and hang out with the DJ. He's a funny kid.

I don't think this life is for me, though. I miss my family, I miss my privacy, and I miss being around people who aren't so dang negative about everything. If that is indicative of the whole music industry, I think I'm going into business…

That's all I can think to post now. More to come…




No comments:

Post a Comment