Monday, October 26, 2009

I Have A Moral Dilemma, and I Need Your Help

Okay, here's the deal. It seems that some of my colleagues on board have been talking about how much they dislike playing with me with other friends/people around the ship. This has gotten back to me. From what I can tell, this mostly relates to my volume as a drummer. This person I talked to said that, so I can have good relations with my colleagues, I should make the sacrifice and play quieter.

I am a decently loud drummer. I'm the first one to admit it, and I'm the first one to suffer from it, because I SIT BEHIND THE DARN SET!!! However, I am using, at most, 70% of my volume and power because I want to be conscientious of my colleagues in the band. I would love to play quieter to help these guys out. However….

Volume is a direct effect of energy and intensity/timbre. I play with energy. Always have, always will. When I am playing, I do not think about what it sounds like where I am. I think about what it sounds like to the audience. I have found, in my experience, that drummers who focus on playing too quietly, because it hurts their ears or whatever, lose the energy and intensity that drives a show like the ones we are doing. That energy, in turn, affects the performances of singers and dancers, and the audience's general attitude toward the show. Long story short, I sacrifice my own (and yes, the player's around me) comfort to give the audience a better show. I always have, and I probably always will, because the show as a whole will always be bigger than what I alone am doing.

I also believe in compromise. That being said, compromise generally takes both sides of an argument sacrificing to reach said compromise. From where I am sitting on this issue, my colleagues are asking me to not do my job to the best of my ability so they can do theirs. Now, to me, that does not seem fair. Am I not entitled to doing what I do best? I was hired for a reason. Granted, the guy who hired me isn't here. But on my demo reel, I have footage of my playing very aggressively, and quite loudly, which, if it were a company policy (for drummers to play quietly) would have disqualified me from getting the job. And yet, HERE I AM. Why was I hired if my aggressively style of playing was going to be a problem?

I've had others (whose opinion, quite frankly, I value more) tell me that my volume levels are fine (namely, our male singer and my boss, the bandmaster). In fact, I have been told that I am nothing compared to drummers they have had in the past. But I don't know how much longer I can deal with this. I am most likely not doing another contract, but these people can still give others in the industry good or bad reports about me.

So here's the final question. Do I play how I have always played and stick to what I do best? Or, do I take one for the team and play quiet, energy-bereft drums until I never have to see these people again?

Your objective commentary would be very much appreciated on this matter. Thank you.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know if you remember me, but I'm Sara Jones (Jon Bakken's girlfriend). He told me you had a blog and I wanted to see what it was all about. Anyway, if I may comment, it sounds like you need to all sit down and talk with a third party that is your superior. It may sound extreme and in most cases it would be, but you are all living in stressful conditions close together. For a reasonable compromise to be reached, everyone needs to be involved (as you said). I would ask the bandmaster if he would be willing to mediate a conversation concerning the volume of your drumming in order to make the entire experience more entertaining for audiences and less painful for musicians.

    I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but it's not easy being objective about youself.

    Good luck out there!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Sara's comment. Your job is to play great, and keep your job. I would say it's the bandleaders job to worry about getting the right volume levels and it's his or the producers/contractors job to take care of personality conflicts.

    It seems like, if your bandleader is level headed and has good people skills, he will be able to broker a compromise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. Your drumming is amazing, and though it is louder than many other drummers I've played with, it's also vastly better. I would sit down with the entire band and talk about it, especially since the bandleader thinks it's fine. It might be good to figure out what everyone's problem is and try to reach a consensus on what to do.

    In the meantime, I would continue to play your best. If the top people like your playing, that's the most important thing in my mind.

    And I miss you. I was working on Fender with Joe the other day and you are awesome. It's almost done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree too.

    Do you not have one of those clear plastic shells? I'm not sure what they're called ... maybe you could put a jar on the stage for your colleagues to donate money so you can buy one. :) Kind of just kidding. But I think sitting down and acting like adults rather than them talking about this problem behind your back is the best way to go. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to throw a dissenting opinion here. Sitting down and mediating would be good, if the people involved are mature enough to do so. However, I think that the musicians have demonstrated a clear lack of maturity by not addressing the issue with the band leader during a rehearsal in the first place and then dropping the issue when the band leader said the volume is fine. Given some of the other things they've done, I don't think a mediation would resolve anything. I think it would actually make the situation worse. A lot of pro musicians that I've worked with- and these ones seem to fit the stereotype I'm about to present- are passive-agressive and very cynical. Putting a passive-aggressive individual in that situation simply provides more fuel for them. Even if they agree to stop the harrassment about the volume, they will find other things. Trust me, I understand passive-aggressiveness very well...

    I would say, continue to check in with the band leader. And do it in front of them, during a rehearsal. If one of them starts complaining about the volume, you say "Hey (bandleader), I'm getting complaints about my volume. How does it sound to you?" Then take direction from her.

    In the meantime, the rest of the band will probably continue to grumble and be jerks. And you may just need to toughen up and let them. Just be grateful that you're not one of them. These guys don't have anything but their jobs- you have a family and friends that love you and you have a potential to do greater things in music than cruises. So, this too shall pass, and you can either let it make you miserable while you're there- which is definitely the easier reaction- or you can rise above it and find other joys. Like the gym and talking to your family and taking long swims in the ocean and eating food that you neither had to prepare or pay for. Remember, you don't have to be friends with these people and they probably aren't looking to be friends with you. So, be cordial, but don't try to please everyone.

    Oh-MK, they tried to get him a drum shield. Corporate sent something that was anything but. They're still working on that aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I agree with your wife. Haha. You'll have to let us know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt,

    Great post. The "loud drummer" is a common animal, detested by us non-drummers. The only thing worse than the loud drummer is, in my opinion, the loud drummer's cousin, the loud guitar player. These are to be avoided at all costs.

    Ok, seriously now, you are a great drummer and I definitely would not have labled you as a "loud drummer". But us non-drummers are overly sensitive to the loud drummer. And here's the problem: it's not that we don't like it when somebody plays too loud. The problem is that they refuse to adjust. It's got to be a democratic thing. I'm going to try to play the way you like and you've got to try to play the way I like. It's got to work together. It's not a one man show.

    The one thing we hate more than anything else is when somebody (and they tend to be drummers) comes in and says 'I'm just gonna play however I want to play and I don't care what you think.' That is frustrating.

    You should listen to what they say. Obviously if different people are telling you different things then you have to choose who to listen to.

    Sorry you feel dissed. I bet if you just say that you didn't realize you were playing too loud and try to fix it, they'll be really happy and call you back. I'm sure you are right - the crowd wants you to play loud. The crowd loves ANYTHING that has to do with drums. But your colleauges are going to be annoyed if you don't listen to what they say. And they are the ones that will be calling you for gigs.

    We don't hate drummers that play too loud. We hate drummers that refuse to be sensitive to our own playing. Frankly, I don't think you do either, so I hope you don't get a reputation as someone who does. It wouldn't be deserved. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete